A few ramblings about knitting, mainly vintage stuff and other bits and bobs

Thursday, 16 June 2016

Bathing Belles KAL

I have long had a fascination with knitted swimwear. I don’t know why but there was something about having something so seemingly impractical as a knit designed to be formfitting and then to drench it. Didn’t the designers know that wool has stretch? But the more I looked into it the more interested I became and the more I realised that a well-designed and properly fitting suit could be achieved. No sagging crotch, no baggy bum just a beautiful sleek garment.

My favourite period of swimwear is the 1930s (but I love the fashions of that time so it’s to be expected) as the variety of designs is huge. Kate-Em has done a brilliant blog post on patterns in magazines and there is a wonderful range of beach and lido wear out there.

The idea for this KAL is very simple – knit a swimsuit from a vintage pattern, or adapt one if you like. There is no specific type of vintage, the choice is entirely up to you. I have I posted a few swimsuit patterns that you can use, or use one of your own and there are loads of great free and paid for patterns to rifle through.
The plan is to cast on before the end of June to give people a chance to find the perfect suit and get any supplies needed. There’s no deadline for finishing as life can get in the way but I will be offering some prizes for those who finish by the end of August as a wee incentive – 3 patterns of your choice from my Etsy shop. If you finish by the end of September, you can have 2 and if it’s not until the end of October then you can claim 1 pattern.


So go forth, find a pattern, find your yarn, find your needles and set to making the perfect knitted swimsuit.

2 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to this! I have narrowed my pattern choices down to three so nearly there! Great prizes too! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO in! I've done one knitted bathing suit before, and am craving to make and wear another one... I chose the 1940's bikini next!

    ReplyDelete